After Apple recently announced a delay to OS X 10.5 Leopard I had to delay my iMac upgrade until the Autumn. This led me to thinking about how to speed up Tiger to get the most out of my ageing G5. This is what I came up with:
1. Repair Disk Permissions Navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Select your Macintosh HD and select Verify Disk Permissions. If needed you can then Repair Disk Permissions.
2. Clear out login items Its good to check that unwanted programs are not starting up when you login to your Mac. This can be done from System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items.
3. Clear out unwanted applications Go through your applications folder and see if you can save yourself some disk space by removing any applications you no longer use.
4. Clear out unused system preferences Check in your system preferences if there are any unused system preferences tabs that can be removed. If you do find something you don't use you can either disable it within its menu or remove it from '~/Library/PreferencePanes'. You may have to reboot or do a force empty trash (see #38).
5. Clear Desktop Its been reported numerous times that having a clear desktop can increase the speed of your Mac. So either put your junk in folders or delete it!
6. Empty Trash (if it wont empty see #38) I'm always amazed when I'm looking on someone's Mac and they haven't ever emptied the trash! Check what's in there then save yourself some space and empty it.
7. Turn off Universal Access (if not used) Navigate to System Preferences > Universal Access and turn off anything you're not using.
8. Turn off Bluetooth (if not used) Navigate to System Preferences > Bluetooth.
9. Turn off speech recognition (if not used) Navigate to System Preferences > Speech Recognition.
10. Turn off internet sharing (if not used) Navigate to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet
11. Check there is plenty of disk space on the boot drive. Your Mac uses some of your hard drive space as virtual memory when there is not enough actual memory available. Its good to always keep 10% of your hard drive free for such activity.
12. Remove Unwanted Language Packs OS X contains hundreds of languages that you most likely wont use. Monolingual is a free program that can root out these languages and remove them saving you some extra disk space.
*Edit: Warning people have experienced problems with Monolingual so becareful what you remove. Only a reinstall will put the languages back so decide weather you really need the extra space by removing them.
13. Remove any desktop changing programs Until recently I had a nice program that would put a different babe on my desktop each month. It looked great but once I started looking in activity monitor it was taking up lots of memory and processor time.
14. Check dock for unwanted apps. Your dock should only contain your most used applications so take a look through to see if there is anything you can remove or uninstall.
15. Choose suitable applications for files Be sensible when choosing what applications open by default - think do you really need Photoshop to open just to view an image when preview will work fine? Right click on a file then select Get Info.
16. Check Software Build If you have an Intel Mac then check the build of the software is universal - it might be that the application is still running through Rosetta and that a universal update is available.
17. Remove dock animation Navigate to System Preferences > Dock then un-tick Animate Opening Applications.
18. Avoid animated desktops Navigate to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver then un-tick Change picture.
19. Remove unused widgets. Each widget takes some memory and processor power even when you're not using the dashboard so only enable the ones you use. Alternatively you can disable the dashboard - see #23.
20. Check to see how much processing power and memory each widget uses. Some widgets are more intensive than others, if there is one that is particularly demanding see if there is one with similar functionality on the Apple website. To do this run Activity Monitor - Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.
As you can see the widgets I have running are all using an acceptable amount of Real Memory.
Tinkertool Tinkertool is a utility that gives you access to additional settings within OS X.
21. Remove animation effects. The animation effects are the eye candy that make OS X look nice but they are not really needed, you can turn them off from the Finder pane within Tinkertool.
22. Disable Dock shadow. From the Dock pane un-tick Enable Dock shadow.
23. Disable Dashboard. If you don't use the Dashboard you can deactivate it from the General pane.
24. Skip checksum verifications when opening DMG files. This will speed up the loading of disk images when opening. This can be found in the Applications pane.
25. Remove or deactivate unwanted login items from the Login Items pane. You might already have done this in #2.
26. Reduce delay time for display of loading pages in Safari. This should speed up your web browsing experience, found within the Safari Pane.
OnyX OynX is similar to Tinkertool however has many more options and preferences.You may have already done some of these in previous tips. Parameters
27. Un-tick Graphic Effects (Finder tab). You may already have done this with Tinkertool #21.
28. Un-tick Animate 'Opening applications' and 'When alert in background' (Dock tab).
29. Disable Dashboard (Dashboard and Expose tab). You may already have done this with Tinkertool #23.
30. Set Safari speed of web page display to fast (Safari Tab). You may already have done this in #26. Maintenance
31. Repair Disk Permissions. You may already have done this in #1.
32. Run Maintenance Scripts.
33. Reset Spotlight Index (it may take over a day to rebuild the index afterwards).
34. Run complete system optimization. Cleaning
35. Clear Internet Settings.
36. Clear User and Font Caches.
37. Clear unused logs.
38. Force Empty Trash Automation
39. Check settings - The default settings should be fine here. Click Execute.
You can do some of the following by resetting Safari - click Safari > Reset Safari. *Edit: Resetting Safari does not clear Favicons.
40. Clear Cache. To speed up page loading Safari saves a copy of every page in its cache however if the cache gets too large it can actually slow down page loading so its best to empty it occasionally. To do so click Safari > Empty Cache.
41. Clear History. Safari can remember every single site you have visited which can have a negative effect on its performance. You can empty it be selecting History > Clear History.
42. Clear AutoFill. AutoFill is the data is saved in forms such as your username and password on websites. As with the cache and history the AutoFill can mount up over time. To empty select Safari > Preferences then select the AutoFill tab. From here you can go through the three AutoFill sections and clear out data that you no longer want stored.
43. Clear Favicons. Favicons are the little icons you see to the left of the URL in the address bar. These can be cleared by emptying user folder/Library/Safari/Icons.
44. If you use Firefox then you can get specially optimized versions of the browser based on your processor architecture - either G4, G5 or intel.
45. Extensions Firefox has some great extensions but they can slow down the browser so take a serious look to see weather you really need that extra toolbar!
46. Smart Playlists These can slow down the operation of iTunes as they reload the contents of the list every time the program loads. If you have a a smart play list that does not change very often then you can either deactivate live updating (by clicking file > edit smart play list) or copy of the contents of the smart play list in to a regular play list.
47. HP Printer drivers can often cause problems and use a lot of processor power so check in the activity monitor for HP Communicator, if it seems to be constantly running at 80% - 100% then try uninstalling it. I had problems on my Mac Mini for my HP PSC 1110 all in one with the HP software on OS X 10.3 maxing out the CPU after printing. I had to remove the software and just use the basic drivers rather than the full suite.
48. Check Classic is not running if not being used. Classic can be disabled from within System Preference.
49. Run Software Update. The latest updates sometimes provide speed increases as well as fix bugs and vulnerabilities.
51. Add More RAM. There is only so much you can do with software, the cheapest way to give you're Mac a speed boost is to upgrade the memory.
52. Reboot your Mac. After doing all this optimization it might be an idea to reboot your Mac. If your like me and use sleep mode for the majority of the time then a reboot once in a while often helps too!
Update: Interested in seeing how many hits this article has got and how to do it for your blog then read here?
Whilst there are some elements of business insurance that are required legally, there are also many additional options that may seem as though you are paying over the odds while your business is running smoothly. That is of course until you are faced with a situation where you are thankful to have the financial backup provided by good business insurance. Whilst it would be nice to predict the future, no one can tell when these disasters may strike, and it is much more comforting to know you can carry on with business as usual in such situations.
Here Doug Kelly, Director of Bluedrop Services insurance brokers, discusses some of the main benefits of having business insurance and why is it needed.
Providing protection against being sued
If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself caught up in a liability claim, business insurance will cover the significant costs involved. Even if you are not at fault the cost and damage to your reputation could be fatal to the continuation of your business. Whether it be from an accident, disgruntled employee, or a product safety issue, there are so many potential scenarios that can land you in this situation particularly with liability claims being so common these days. As any astute business owner knows, operating without insurance isn't a risk worth taking.
Keeps your employees protected
Whilst you do legally need to keep your employees protected with employer’s liability insurance, it is also important to remember they are your best asset and deserve additional compensation protection. Employer’s liability insurance doesn't just protect those on your payroll, but also covers any contractors, interns or freelance staff while working at your offices too. It's worth noting, when taking out this policy that employer's liability insurance is a legal requirement and that £5 million is the legal minimum cover level for employer's liability insurance.
Good business insurance and additional benefits such as health insurance will help to keep your team in good health as well as attracting and retaining your staff. Perhaps there are also key personnel that you should consider insuring individually should something happen to take them out of the picture when their presence is crucial to the business.
Some client contracts will demand it
If your business provides a professional service, there may be some clients that will require you to have specific insurances such as professional indemnity insurance. This provides them with the peace of mind that they will be compensated should anything go wrong or they be advised incorrectly. It provides a guarantee that you have the financial means to back up your professional work and makes relying on your services less of a gamble. Professional Indemnity, otherwise known as Errors and Omissions insurance, will ensure you are covered for legal and defence costs as well as court costs and any settlement fees that may be involved.
It can help prevent business closure
In the event of a disaster or claim, business insurance will help to recover your property and equipment whether it be from natural disaster or theft. Often it can take months or even a couple of years to recover following this type of disaster and in those situations business interruption insurance will cover your loss of income during the period it takes to get you back up and running. Without this, many businesses (up to 40%) fail to re-open.
Business interruption insurance is a key component of any business continuity plan. Whilst your standard commercial insurance will cover you for your premises and contents should disaster strike, business interruption insurance is there to cover your loss of income suffered during the period it takes to get you back up and running.
Protects your physical assets
All too often a business can suffer loss from natural disaster such as burst pipes or weather damage or even theft of your equipment. With a good insurance policy to cover your buildings and contents insurance you won’t need to worry about replacing or repairing your much needed and relied on assets.
Whether you run an office, retail outlet, pub, restaurant, hotel or factory, the value of your business contents is likely to be substantial, with a great deal of your assets being tied up in your premises. If these assets aren’t insured correctly, this could affect the day to day running and the immediate revenue of your business.
Properly insuring your business will mean you can rest easy knowing you are protected. By approaching an experienced broker they will ensure you are fully covered, have access to top rated insurers and can guarantee you aren’t paying over the odds.
For more information read our guide to deciding the right level of business insurance.
You need to market your brands for them to be well-known and easily recognized in today’s markets, which are flooded with many other similar brands. Custom business bags are some of the tools that your business can use to create awareness about its brands and itself as well as foster stronger relationships with existing and prospective customers. These bags are versatile, which enables them to be used in almost all events or marketing campaigns. They also give good returns on investment by reaching so many people thanks to their longer life and because they are carried to various places.
Here are some reasons that make custom business bags great for marketing your brand.
They are customisable
Do you want a marketing tool that is unique to your brand or that you can make to suit specific clients? Well, look no further than custom business bags. You have a wide variety of designs, sizes, and colours among other factors to choose from to come up with very unique bags. Such unique bags will not only help you to display or communicate your branding message effectively but will also prove to be functional and handy carrier bags for the customers or those who receive them.
Every customer will find them useful
The need for shopping bags is evident from the statistics that show that approximately one person in the US uses 350-500 disposable shopping bags a year. If your business makes reusable custom business bags, then it will have given customers something that they need and will find useful. It will also have promoted your brand.
They enable customers to always remember your brand
Whenever a customer has needs to satisfy, they will typically go for the brand that is at the top of their mind. That is the importance of brand recall or remembrance. With so many competing brands, you need to capture the attention of your customers and keep reminding them of your brand. Nothing does that better than custom business bags such as branded backpacks.
Wide exposure to your brand
As the customers utilize the bags for marketing your brand, they will be disseminating your branding message to all those that they meet wherever they go. Your brand will get seen by family, friends, colleagues, strangers, and everyone else who sees the bags. Furthermore, these bags last several years, so they go on creating awareness about your brand for a long time.
They are cost-effective
You want a marketing tool for your brand that will be within your budget and have a huge impact, right? Then custom business bags are your best bet. Compared to TV, online, and print ads, bags are far cheaper yet still very effective due to the large audience that they reach. So, the bags meet a real need or have a functional use and at the same time are effective brand marketing tools.
Custom business bags are effective marketing tools for your brand since they appeal to all customers due to their practical use, and they can be used for different businesses and marketing campaigns. Moreover, the bags help businesses to promote their green goals, thus forming part of the company's environmental conservation efforts. Make use of these tools and see your brand get incredible awareness that will translate to more sales and bigger profits.
It's a topic that we're taught from a young age, and if you were to analyze most children's bedrooms, we're pretty sure there would be some links to dinosaurs in there!
As well as the obvious appeal from a child's perspective, dinosaurs also happen to be incredibly interesting. Unfortunately, there are a lot of theories that often get branded about which cloud the realities of what made these beasts tick. Some of these never get proven, and today's post is all about taking a look at some of these to see what we DON'T know when it comes to these beasts.
We don't know how they mate
Let's not forget that much of what we know about dinosaurs is through fossils. As such, there are a lot of unanswered questions, with one of the key ones being their mating technique.
Sure, we know that each and every dinosaur started their life by being hatched from an egg. It's the bit before that which we are unsure about though. There have been no obvious signs of how the creatures "came together", and the sexual anatomy is also clouded. While we may have a firm understanding of what their teeth looked like, and other body parts, nobody has ever found an impression of this area of the body. This means that it will probably remain a mystery for eternity.
We don't TRULY know why they became extinct
Sure, there are umpteen theories doing the rounds, but nobody quite knows why dinosaurs became extinct. It's only quite recently (like in the last few decades) where more and more of us have started to believe the theory about the huge asteroid hitting earth and wiping out the species. However, note the term "started to believe". Evidence has mounted, but there are all sorts of other theories and even then, some people are led to believe that the end of dinosaurs came due to a combination of them all.
We don't know if they hunted in packs
Jurassic Park might suggest otherwise, but this probably provides more questions than answers when it comes to these creatures.
Again, evidence is limited. Paleontologists have seen tracks which might have been shared by raptors and tyrannosaurs, but even then it's impossible to tell if they definitely strolled hand-in-hand together.
We don't know why they all had such different heads
Sure, all types of dinosaurs are going to be different, but the differences between some dinosaurs are absolutely massive.
We've seen spikes, plates and more on the back of their head, and that leads to the obvious question of what are they used for?
Some experts have suggested that it's all about temperature regulation, while others focus on defense. Again, there are no definite reasons, and these debates are likely to whittle on for eternity.
We don't know what the biggest dinosaur was
For a long time, the T-Rex grabbed the size headlines. In truth, we're really not sure though. Again, we are basing this off partial fossils, and as time progresses more and more evidence comes to light which debunks these theories.
The problem is, when will this evidence stop? Nobody quite knows, which is why there is no such thing as a definite claim when it comes to the world of dinosaurs.
Like any other service, healthcare should be taken with absolute seriousness to ensure that patients find the satisfaction and experience they deserve. The best way to do so is by offering patients quality customer service to show your value and care. While there are numerous ways to do so, here are top tips and tricks to increase efficiency and customer service quality in healthcare organizations.
Among the effective ways to improve your healthcare service efficiency and promote better customer service is through RCM solutions. Outsourcing these services makes it even easier and helps you save time, money, enhances accuracy and ability to meet deadlines. However, with so many RCM solutions service providers out there, picking a company to fully trust is the main challenge. Here are a few tips to make your search easier and more manageable.
Select a Vendor Who Will Offer You High Returns on Investment
The first tip is to choose a reasonably-priced RCM solutions vendor. This is especially crucial for small healthcare businesses that are just trying to rise. You do not want to end up spending all your revenue on this to a point where the services cannot bring you any profits. While outsourcing revenue cycle management is a wise idea, sometimes it could harm your healthcare business if you do it without a plan. Set a budget first and then choose a vendor who perfectly fits, and one who can offer quality services to help maximize your returns.
Consider the Experience and Expertise
When you decide to outsource these services, the goal is to partner with someone who can offer better services than an in-house team. You need a provider who is well-versed in a range of matters such as medical billing and coding. This is a sensitive field, and you definitely cannot afford to make any errors. Consider the experience of the provider and how long they have been offering the services. The longer they have been in the market, the higher the chances that they have acquired the necessary expertise to provide you with the best quality services.
Check the Technology Used
You need a vendor with the right technology solutions that will synchronize with and meet your needs. You can do this by checking the features and functionalities of the providers system. You should note that some revenue cycle management providers only use software for some tasks and leave out others. You should select a fully-automated provider for seamless operations and enhanced effectiveness. This will also promote convenience while saving your time and ensuring timely completion of tasks.
Their Customer Support
Choose a partner who is willing to communicate regularly and report on everything that takes place. This will not only help improve your financial aspects, but it also ensures that the providers are accountable for everything they do.
Finding the right RCM solutions provider is the most crucial step towards improving efficiency, save time, money, and improve customer service in your healthcare organization. Take your time and find a partner you can trust and one who can fully meet your needs.