AOL the owners of Netscape have decided that there will be no more releases of the Netscape Browser. Netscape 7 ended the line of development of the Netscape Browser that has been recently based on the Mozilla project.
In 1998 the Netscape Browser became open source and the Mozilla foundation was born with funding from AOL. Since then the foundation has produced a browser known as Mozilla. Netscape was first founded in 1994 and released its first browser in October of that year.
The Browser was released freely and soon took off helping to make the Internet what it is today. Netscape soon faced hard competition from Microsoft when it started to release its own web browser (Internet Explorer) with its operating system.
This has caused various court cases with Microsoft which have only recently been settled. AOL has its own web browser however this is not based on Mozilla.
AOL said it will keep the Netscape brand alive and still support old editions of the software but it will not produce any new releases.
[Last edited on July 19, 2003 at 6:41:28pm by pwhite]
This simple guide should give u an insight into making your PC case look more funky. I will go through the simple steps we used to spraying benjies case. We do not take any responsibility for any smeg ups you may have!!!
1. First you need to find an old case or a gullible person willing to let you "modify" there case. (i suggest finding an old case) Next you need to clean the case up then pull the front plastic bit off, this is the bit we are going to spray, if the case you are tryin to modify doesn't have a front which pulls off get a case which does!! Also take out any drive pannels on the front as you can paint these seperatly.
2. Once you have spent many minutes cleaning your case, you are allmost ready to spray your case. You need to find a well ventilated area most people use their garden as its outside. Once you are in your well ventilated area you will need to cover the area where you will be spraying in newspaper.
3. You can now attempt to spray your case. You can get spraypaint from most diy shops, if they dont sell it they clearly are NOT a good diy shop. Hold your can about 20-30cms away from the case and apply an even coating of paint. Do not keep the can over one area for too long otherwise the paint will be too thick and will probably drip.
Here you can see we have a lot of newspaper in our well ventilated area. We decided to spray our case silver to make it look more modern
4. Once you have finished spraying wait for your case to dry. You may have to apply a second coat. In some cases its best to apply the paint in coats rather then all at once.
Here is our case drying.(It gives a new meaning to watching paint dry :/)
5. Next your going to have to paint the drive pannels which you removed from your case earlier. We decided to do ours black as we happened to have black paint and it goes well with the silver.
We decided to paint the pannels but you could easily spray them the same color as the case.
Here is another picture of the finishes sprayed case. Note that the wall is not silver. If you have any sucessfull mods then please send your pictures in and we will stick them online. We also like to laugh over the disasters. Benjie contributed to this article.
By now you should have a good idea to what Linux is and the different Distributions available. However you may still be a stuck as to how to get Linux and where to get it. Here you have a couple of options, you can either buy one of the packages, download it or borrow off someone else. Prices for Linux normally range from about ?30 upwards and you normally get good value for money.
For instance the SuSE 8 package for ?40 gives you 7 CDs, a DVD, 1 boot floppy disk, 1 modules disk, 1 large reference manual, an applications manual, a basics manual and a certain amount of support. Now considering this package gives you all the software you will need to do most things in Linux it is great value for money. If you were in windows and paid for all this software it would come into excess ?1500 and that?s not including the server software.
Your other option when buying Linux is just to buy the copied CDs, quite a few shops do this and even the distributions site will probably have a service where you can just buy the CDs for around ?5-?10 (I know mandrake does). This is sometimes a good option if you want to try the distribution and you don?t have broadband. Your next option is to download the distribution, most offer this feature in something called an ISO image, this is quite handy as you only have to download 1 file per cd then using a cd writer burn the file to the CD.
The first CD is normally bootable so there is no need for annoying boot disks. If you are downloading and installing for a first time I suggest you use Linux-Mandrake as its very simple to use and easy to download. The one disadvantage to downloading is that your going to need at least a broadband connection to download these files as you will be downloading at least 600mbs per cd. A good place to look for ISO images is http://www.linuxiso.org as it has a wide collection of a lot of the distributions latest releases.
Finally if you know a friend who has Linux then most probably you can borrow their copy. This isn?t illegal as it would be if you were using Windows. If this fails see if your area has a local Linux user group and ask if anyone would be willing to do you a copy of the distribution your interested in.
One way to make money on your website is through adverts, Google’s adverts are used across the web and provide a good revenue source whether you’re a blogger or small business. These short tips will introduce you to Google’s Adsense program and help maximize potential revenue for your site.
1. Know how Google ads work. Google’s adverts bring much better results than normal advertising because each advert is targeted to the content of that page. For instance you might have a webpage about food, Google would index your page then target adverts based on that content. Adverts may range from catering services to supermarkets; some may be more relevant than others, the key is to get adverts that your visitors are interested in.
2. Are Google ads right for you? If your site already sells a product or service you most likely don’t want adverts, as they will attract possible customers attention away from your site. If you’re a Blogger there are other ways to make money from affiliate programs, sponsorship, donations and merchandising. You might want to consider a couple of these revenue ideas in order to make money from your site. Cafepress is one company that allows you to create your own products with customized logos and writing.
3. Sign up for Adsense In order to qualify for Google’s Adsense program you need to make sure you site conforms to their program policy, you shouldn’t have a problem unless your site contains hardcore pornography, illicit drugs, hate crimes or other illegal activity. If you do have any problems applying either check the content of your site or contact Google.
Adsense also offers the ability to add Google search to your site, sometimes adverts simply don’t work and with Adsense for search you get paid when someone clicks on a sponsored advert when they search for something. At the top of the ImAFish forum I have put a Google search box, I have then been advertising this and trying to get my users into the habit of using it to search Google rather than their normal means.
5. Placing ad’s on content rich pages. Putting adverts on pages full of navigation links won’t normally give good-targeted adverts. A good example of this is the front page of the ImAFish forum as it is simply links to other forums on more specific categories. When Google can’t find an advert to place on a page it will display a public service advert that you will not get paid for. The same could be said if you had an empty page with just adverts on, as Google can’t find anything to display, public service ads will be shown. You may have problems with adverts on image rich pages, I had some adverts on my gallery at one time and found I had a lot of public service adverts as Google can’t analyze the contents of an image unless it has meta data associated with it. Try to avoid placing adverts in frames, as the ad may not correspond to the content in the other frame.
6. Attracting people to your site. The more people you have visiting your site the more people that are likely to click an advert! That’s why good careful marketing of your site and its content is important. There are a lot of simple free ways to get people on your site, adding your site address to your email signature a simple one or as I like to do put new features or content from my site on my MSN name. Be careful not to spam people, as it won’t give your site a good name. You can add your site to various directory websites for instance the open directory project dmoz.org has many categories you can add your site too. For Bloggers sites such as blogdex.net/ and technorati.com are good directories while notification services such as pingoat.com are useful for pinging other directories to get your Blog noticed.
7. Good Site Content The best way to attract people to your site and to get relevant adverts is your sites content. Good site content though will not guarantee relevant adverts. On the forum we had a problem of just getting adverts for Blog services rather than the content in our forum posts, this was mainly because of the word Blog in the navigation, unfortunately the only way round this was to remove the word from the navigation. If there are certain URL’s you think are competing with you’re content rather than being useful then you can block them in the “Competitive Ad Filter” in your Adsense account.
8. How much will I get from Google Ads? This depends on a number of things, the position of the ads on your page, number of visitors you get, relevancy of ads and how well paid each advert is. With Adsense each advert is not worth the same, you could have one advert that would give you 10cents then another may give you $1 per click. It depends on the demand for that type of advert, for instance if a number of companies are competing for advertising space on loans the company offering the most per click will get their adverts displayed first.
Unfortunately Google does not let you see how much an Advert is worth so it is hard to produce content aimed at those sorts of adverts. Adsense has the ability to put your earnings straight into your bank account so there is no messing about with cheques in the post.
9. Managing your Adsense account. Keeping track of your Adsense account is important, some people like to check their Adsense account daily (a bit like counting your money) others check it less frequently. I like to check a few times a week but if I’m running a feature on the site such as this article I will check more often. It may be obvious but make sure your details are up-to-date and Google are always bringing out new ways for you to make money so keep checking the Adsense site.
10. Keep monitoring your adverts. If you have certain adverts doing well keep a close eye on them as they may not keep doing well, a change in your navigation could change the content of the adverts so keep an eye on the adverts across your site. On Blogs and Forums where the content is constantly changing from user posts and comments you might even get some adverts you weren’t expecting. Channels are a good way of checking certain pages and advert layouts (are certain adverts on a page doing better than other ads?). Adsense also has an affiliate program so if you do want to give it a try you can with the banner below. Hopefully this article has given you an insight into how Adsense works and whether it will be useful for your site.
The story of ImAFish!
I have decided to let out my cool story for everyone else to read! Feel privilidged :D
It all started when i was born in shrewsbury hospital - little did i know that i had been born with a special power, that of being cool. However i did not learn this over night, it took years of dedicated chilling out to master my coolness. One of the first signs of my coolness was pointed out by a friend when i was telling him about not having a belly button. He suggested that it could be because of a special mystical power - in my case coolness.
My childhood was a reasonably quiet time in that of my skills of coolness, but they were essential to building up my cool techniques for later life. I was teased for not having a belly button and many people laughed when i told them i was stuck in a conicle flask before birth :(
Throughout secondary education my cool powers did not come to life, this is for many reasons but mainly as they were clouded by un-cool people who were scared of my mystical force. In my later years of secondary school my fasination with computers increased and i found an interesting technology -- the internet. Here you could find new friends who no nothing about you, and in most cases dont care but have 1 thing in common, have a passion for somthing computer related, whether it was webdeign, linux or just entertainment. This led to the start of experimentation with webdesign, a lot of the early sites were very bad i will admit, however by the time ImAFish 1 was started our skills had nicely developed and we were ready to produce a good chillout site.
Anyway here my coolness skills developed, this slowly led into college where my cool hay day began and also ImAFish started to become increasingly popular..
to be continued!!!